Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Metal Albums you should hear before you die
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #108 (permalink)
Primeval Scum
Music Addict

Figured I'd start with this one since it is my avatar and definitely deserves a spot.

61. Ulver - Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler - (1995)

Ulver smashed the standards set by the black metal bands before them and created their own, one that few have come near since. This album is simultaneously raw and celestially atmospheric, seamlessly integrating with acoustic and Scandinavian folk sounds. There is wonderful contrast between Garm's angelic chanted clean vocals and his otherworldy shrieks. The clean vocals are a surprisingly perfect fit for the music, with I Troldskog Faren Vild being the best showcase of this - an absolute classic. Soelen Gaaer Bag Aase Need and Graablick Blev Hun Vaer are equally good. The soundscapes captured here make one feel like a wayward soul wandering across a mountainous landscape under a full moon. This music is truly serene yet sinister and enchanting. The interludes of nordic folk that Garm adds, like the beginning of Capitel III, most of Capitel IV and the end of Capitel V, augment the already splendid black metal fare in a way no one had done before in the genre and create some deliciously abrupt dynamic shifts, completing the spiritually transcendental experience that is Bergtatt.

Don't grieve for me, I'm not there. I am the gentle autumn rain. Hold up my lamp to light your way. Farewell to thee...
Primeval Scum is offline   Reply With Quote