Music Banter - View Single Post - Free Will - an illusion?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 11:25 AM   #40 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
No, you guys need to put less thought into it.

FREE. WILL.

It's pretty f*cking simple.
When talking about the possibility that you're basically a biological machine with no control over your actions, then it's not really all that simple. The difference between the common/compatibilist concept of free will, and the metaphysical/incompatibiliist definition can shape how we view consciousness and the human brain. Why stick to comfortable vagueness, when accepting it closes the door to greater scientific understanding about the most basic and profound aspect of how the human brain functions.

Quote:
Bat, you're not willing to dive deep into Citizen Kane yet you're taking this straight forward concept and heaping layers of psychobabble on top of it?
First of all, just because I don't want to rewatch some movie I find to be boring doesn't mean I'm not interested in intellectual discussion. Enjoying Citizen Kane is not some litmus test for intelligence or nuanced thought.

Secondly, it's not psychobabble. It's rather straightforward logic that just has big words attached to it. When talking about things like this it's difficult to be specific and clear without specific and clear language. Calling it psychobabble to use words like "incompatibilism" and "determinism" is reductive and lazy.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote