Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 12:10 AM   #30373 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
My performance at the open mic from earlier tonight wherein I learn that you can't bow a wet cymbal. I had to improvise.

You promise that's your video, right? Cause if not the person who did that is gonna be confused and possibly angered at the comment I left.

Seriously though, if I was sitting in the audience I probably would have been bored as ****. I just don't have that love for super-experimental stuff where it's just basically sound improvisation. But being able to turn the video off and on at will, and knowing how long it was gonna be, definitely took the edge off and let me just watch without worrying about just how long I was gonna have to sit and watch this crap.

I don't know how much of that you planned out, how much was just vague ideas that had been floating around in your head before the show, or how much was just popping into your head in the moment, but it was still cool seeing you do your thing. You legitimately made clever and varied use of your instruments, had the confidence not to be flustered when your one thing didn't work, and just seemed to be playing around without worrying about impressing anybody but yourself. You are certainly arrogant, but not in an obnoxious, rock star way, and it obviously serves you well in this context. Wish I could perform in front of people with half the balls you do.

Some of that was legitimately unsettling too, especially when you were hitting the smaller cymbal in the trashcan. The fact that I couldn't see what you were actually doing, due to the camera angle, actually made it slightly mysterious. I'd be curious to hear what you could do with that general mood in a more formal, relatively planned out setting. I also really dug how you just seemed to randomly pull that climax a minute or so before the end---with moving the smaller cymbal over bigger one---out of your ass. Was dissonant and noisy in a most cool way.

However much of your pretentiousness comes from a hipster place, you commit to it to an extent that makes you legitimately odd and original. No matter how much a poseur committed to listening to and playing what you do, they could never do so with as much conviction, so the roots of your "persona" are almost irrelevant. You might be putting on an act with the mustache (RIP), but you're clearly not faking with your music.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote