Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord's Thread of Metalcore that Doesn't Suck but In Fact ****ing Rules
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 01:13 AM   #42 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Connoisseur View Post
Has there been any mention of Xibalba? Haven't gotten a chance to listen to their new album yet, but 2012's Hasta La Muerte was as heavy as anything released that year. The Greg Anderson collaboration definitely helped the low-end pop more than it would have had the band been on a label other than Southern Lord.

Spoiler for Xibalba - Hasta La Muerte:
Oooo, cool. Like deathcore/doom. Sort of highlights my problem with deathcore though. When it's bad, it's awful, but when it's good, it's cause it goes close enough to regular death metal that it might as well just be called death metal. And even the best stuff is still almost always inferior to the best that traditional death metal has to offer.

Eternal Lord was a band that's pretty much straight deathcore, but they can actually write a decent tune, incorporate melody without it being too cloying, and have a nice sludgy production. They weren't terribly original, and their vocalist is a bit weak, but other than that I don't have too many complaints about them. Too bad they only recorded one album.

Spoiler for Eternal Lord:

I guess cause they were around before the deathcore craze took off, Heaven Shall Burn manage to have a sound that's relatively unique. Sort of like more traditional metalcore with death metal/melodic death metal influences. They have a fantastic vocalist too. Whether they touch up his in studio or not, he still sounds amazing on record. Pretty bitchin' drummer too.

Spoiler for Heaven Shall Burn:

They put even more melodic, Gothenburg influences in their music later on, that made them sound more like melodic metalcore, but they're still a pretty cool band.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote