Music Banter - View Single Post - Reasons you believe God/don't believe God?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #119 (permalink)
Xurtio
Brain Licker

I just don't believe in God, I don't need reasons. I was raised a Christian and gradually moved on to neutral agnosticism, and finally to atheism (agnostic atheism to be specific). An education in science probably played a role. The reason I wanted to believe, I think, is because of the security blanket it provided (it's all part of some omnipotent being's plan and I could ask for help through prayer).

But that all just kind of faded away over time. I didn't need to rationalize it, I just lost interest in it. And I don't chide people just for being religious. If they try to make their morals laws or use it to justify violence and other hate crimes, then we have a problem. But if you're a "noninvasive" practitioner (to use Epoch's term) then whatevah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOCH6 View Post
It was really frustrating for me at first to see my mother's beliefs pull a 180 at the age of 40-something but it has been probably about 7 or 8 years now and her psychological state, financial stability, and overall health have improved so much, very much a direct result of her involvement in vaguely religious communities.
This is why I think spirituality is important, even for us atheists. By spirituality, I mean things like finding your place in society, establishing a moral code that truly satisfies you, finding meaning for yourself in life, etc.

Knowing that there is no objective meaning to life can be liberating at first, but it can also lead to idle, meandering actions that have a chance of being destructive to yourself or others.

Last edited by Xurtio; 02-05-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Xurtio is offline   Reply With Quote