Music Banter - View Single Post - Avantgarde/experimental fans among your friends/relatives etc.
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #36 (permalink)
Overcast

Family:

My mother refuses to listen to anything outside of the christian radio or any music that does not glorify god. She believes that if it doesn't praise god that it's satanic and goes against the purpose of music. I've tried showing her standard music she'd like such as Sufjan Stevens or something and she isn't having that ****. I did get her to listen to some instrumental 2nd/3rd wave post-rock though, that was cool. Not exactly experimental, of course.

My father listens mainly to classic rock/christian radio and holds the same beliefs as my mother to an extent. The best I could get him to listen to and enjoy was Beach House. We like a lot of the same older stuff though, so that's cool.

My sisters both listen to radio country/pop/rap.

Friends:

One of my internet friends introduces me to a lot of experimental stuff and we both like pretty much anything we find and share. We also sometimes make crazy experimental music from the depths of hell. That's the only person I can think of among friends/relatives who listens to experimental music.

I have other friends that enjoy some of the same music as I do but are not as open-minded.

My parents are the opposite of open-minded. They're scared to listen to any nonchristian music because they believe it's just satan's way of corrupting your mind. I find it funny that I somehow managed to develop a taste in anything growing up around that (and still being within it.)

I can thank the internet for my musical journey. That much is obvious.
Overcast is offline   Reply With Quote