Music Banter - View Single Post - Controversial opinion on music?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
grtwhtgrvty
jiojoijoi

I don't even have words for that opinion.

My controversial opinion... I believe that music and art in general should always always always be innovative and progressive. If you aren't innovative, in my opinion... I wouldn't say that you SHOULDN'T be making music, but I do see it as completely pointless and less valuable as music as opposed to something that is innovative. I feel like if an artist isn't constantly striving to push the boundaries, they have failed as an artist.

Anything that is derivative is a waste of time to me. Mainstream pop is a waste of time. Bands like Artic Monkeys -- waste of time. iamamiwhoami's new album was a complete waste of time to me, like a complete and utter disappointment that had absolutely no reason to even be made.

I also deem derivative music like Lady Gaga or Katy Perry to generally (not all the time) be listened to people who are less intelligent than me, at least on an artistic standpoint. I know someone who straight up cried to Donatella by Lady Gaga. The only way that I have been able to justify people being engaged by mainstream pop and other hyper derivative genres of music is that they aren't artistically intelligent.

There are a couple of Madonna songs that I can enjoy and I can enjoy dance music but when someone's entire musical spectrum revolves around that type of music I sort of have a tendency to instinctively deem them as lesser in that regard.

Also -- anyone who walks around wearing only one earbud is an ******* who is missing half the song and obviously doesn't care about the quality of the music they are listening to.
grtwhtgrvty is offline   Reply With Quote