Music Banter - View Single Post - Controversial opinion on music?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #102 (permalink)
Zyrada
Avant-Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtwhtgrvty View Post
Done what? I even said I like some mainstream pop songs. If mainstream pop is your entire musical spectrum and you find it emotionally and artistically stimulating, to me, that is the equivalent of someone finding Blues Clues emotionally and artistically stimulating.
Is it really not occurring to you that it might not exactly be endearing to someone to tell them that music they find emotionally stimulating and rewarding is worthless trash?

Like, you're not even restricting the commentary to the quality of the music itself. You're making a broad, snap judgment about people who, heaven forbid, associate with music you don't personally find substantial. If I said, for instance, that I thought iamamiwhoami's music was pretentious bullsh!t that uses visually glossy videos and obtuse riddles as a front to obscure its own musical hollowness, and that anyone who thought otherwise was deluded and up their own @ss, I can't imagine you'd have particularly warm feelings toward me.

You might say, "But that's such a direct and personal attack on my taste!"

Yes. Yes it is. I could have said my opinion (which, for the record, is not my own, I actually really like iamamiwhoami, but I was trying to make a point) about iamamiwhoami in a way that doesn't drag your own person into the foray.