Music Banter - View Single Post - Genre Crisis - The Allman Brothers Dilemma / Southern Influence in Music
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Hey, thanks for the mention, Pet_Sounds ! Yes, the Allman Brothers are my favourite band, so I read the OP here with great interest.

In fact, Epoch6, I´ve been in just the same place that you seem to be in; over-familiar with all things Allman and looking for something new that equals their brilliant extended jamming. Unless you´re luckier than me though, you have to be ready for disappointment; I have certainly never found anyone who is as all-round good as the Allmans. I imagine that you´ve already checked out the Allman spin-off bands, such as Gov´t Mule and Derek Trucks, but perhaps some of these leads might interest you:-

East-West by Paul Buttersfield Blues Band (1966): unfortunately, afaik, they only recorded the one extended instrumental, but listening to it you might wonder if the Allmans didn´t use it as a model:-

Boz Scaggs self-titled album (1969): kind of southern/Americana featuring Duane Allman on one track. I dismissed this album years ago, but thanks to rostasi, I´ve grown to like it. No instrumental tracks though, I´m afraid.
Duane Allman also turns up on another 1969 album, Two Jews Blues by Barry Goldberg (on the track, Twice a Man). This album has the blues-focused failings that you mentioned with SRV though. More interesting perhaps is the material in the recently-issued Clapton package called Layla Sessions. Jams# 4 and #5 are about 18 mins long each; great instrumental workouts brought to life by Duane´s searing slide guitar.

Jumping rather abruptly from old albums to current performers, your post made me think of these two bands:-
String Cheese Incident can be, ironically, a bit cheesy, but sometimes they come close to what I suspect we are both looking for:-

And with Railroad Earth , Bluegrass turns into Newgrass. Occassionally their instrumentals interludes take flight, but never quite long enough or high enough, imo:-

I wonder if this is the kind of music you have in mind, Epoch6 ? If we can find some new artists between us I would be really happy !

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 02-11-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote