Music Banter - View Single Post - Genre Crisis - The Allman Brothers Dilemma / Southern Influence in Music
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 01:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
EPOCH6
V8s & 12 Bars

Thanks a lot for jumping in on this Lisna.

That Butterfield Blues Band track was absolutely amazing and is a great example of the kind of stuff I'm trying to track down. Unfortunately the rest of the album seems pretty standard but still, that particular track demonstrates a huge part of what I'm looking for, ambitious multi-layered musicianship pulling influence from many southern styles. I think that's a great start to the thread for sure.

Funny you bring up these Duane Allman collaborations, I spent several hours today driving around listening to Duane Allman: An Anthology Vol. I & II hoping I'd come across something. If you haven't listened to these compilations yourself you must, as a full set it's basically 40 tracks of Duane Allman collaborating with other musicians. There are a few exceptional stand out tracks, for example his instrumental cover of The Band's The Weight with saxophone legend King Curtis, his cover of Steppenwolf's Born to Be Wild with Wilson Pickett, the massive instrumental Push Push with flute legend Herbie Mann, or the droning swampy track Goin' Upstairs with Sam Samudio. But all of that being said, besides being a great compilation for Duane Allman fans, there was nothing genuinely mindblowing to be heard.

That String Cheese Incident performance was cool, great musicianship all around, some nice interesting moments, but not quite the full package we're seeking. The vocals are obviously the weakest link, missing the passion we could easily find from other groups. Same deal with Railroad Earth. The thing about these bands is that they're obviously full of great musicians, the playing talent is undeniable, it's just the songwriting that is lacking, there's nothing genuinely compelling about it, no blood, no sweat, just a handful of really well trained musicians hammering out meandering solos with little to say.

But anyway I'm quite confident you understand what I'm looking for, East-West was a total win, I'll be holding onto that track for a long time. All of your other examples are on the right track, just not quite the full package. I'll keep you posted on anything I find, I'm hoping you do the same. This thread will be here for anything worth sharing.
There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote