Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds from Innerspace
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
grtwhtgrvty
jiojoijoi

Really? The Belieber generation?

Eyeroll.

This generation discrimination nonsense never ceases to amuse me. If you look in any generation, you are going to find a sea of terrible bull****. If you are going to define a generation by whatever pop star is around at the time, you're pretty much ****ting all over that generation -- and you can do it for any generation. I think art now, more than ever, is at it's best
Look at hipster subculture. I know, I know, "hurr durr hipsters", but look at what that says about people like us. The hipster ideology actually prides itself on obscure tastes in music and art in general. You can't call it the Belieber generation when the poster child of the biggest cultural movement in that generation is an elitist, pretentious snob who prides themselves on having obscure taste.

I think by labeling it as the Belieber generation you are expressing an ignorance of the actual artistic movements in the last 15 years. You should call it the DIY generation.

Look at the revitalization of synthpop, the experimental r&b movement, electronic music in general is huge, post-rock, electronic shoegaze, experimental pop, dance music finally making it into the mainstream, experimental hip hop, the new wave of drone music, noise rock, noise pop, contemporary classical artsts finally being accepted and admired by a huge chunk of our youth...

Why aren't you referencing the Chamber Pop movement in the late 90s - early 2000s? Why aren't you referencing trip hop? Why aren't you referencing electronic soul? The new generation of Baroque Pop?

You call it the Belieber generation when art is literally at it's best -- so unrestrained by record labels and recording studios, and you're almost saying it like it's bad thing that now, more than ever, mainstream is a joke. Underground music is finally valid and an alternative artist can finally tour the world. It's not the Belieber generation at all. This is hands down the best generation of music so far.
grtwhtgrvty is offline   Reply With Quote