Music Banter - View Single Post - aux-in's Collection: [The Electronic Continuum]
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

Default Aux-In's Collection: [The Electronic Continuum]

First, hello and welcome to my journal.

Before I start, I would like to say that while this journal will be style-specific in a sense, there will not be a dedicated structure to what I post here. This journal is intended to be a free-forming, free-flowing, adaptive, ongoing and transformative collection and discussion of everything I enjoy in modern electronic music.

I have been listening to various forms of electronic music for most of my life, with much of it being 8- and 16-bit instrumentals. I listen to rock and some metal as well, but these days it seems that I have shifted almost exclusively to electronic music. A typical week for me consists of sifting through about 100 songs or more, from past releases to the latest, greatest, and freshest releases.

Note: This will be a video-intensive thread.

Sub-note: I am also in the process of compiling a master list in text-based form which I can make available when I get it completed.

How you can decide if this journal is for you:

Time Period: Selections will be from about 2009-Present, with a few being from the early 2000s.

Genres: Dubstep, Progressive House, Electro House, Trance, Drum & Bass, Glitch Hop, Future Bass, and many other genres. Of mention here is that as much as I enjoy exploring and trying to understand the genre breakdowns, I find that there isn't always consensus--sometimes not even between what the artist lists a song as and what the distribution/download service (the kind you buy stuff from) lists it as. I will try to answer genre questions if anyone is curious about what’s what, and I'm sure we have some other knowledgeable members here on MusicBanter.

Vocals: 90% of the tracks will be vocal tracks. Vocals are not everyone’s cup of tea when it comes to Electronica, but I prefer them.

Female vocals: 85% of the tracks overall will likely contain female vocals. I like male vocals almost exclusively in my rock selections, but here, I find that female vocals are the best for this type of music.

Style(s): Generally, I am into the style that lifts me into the air and then throws me to the ground. Tracks will consist of high-pitched vocals and beats. They will be high-energy, fast-paced, loud and sometimes distorted. Other elements include an ambient, melodic, uplifting and ethereal tone. At other times, tracks will have a combination of all of the above, while simultaneously displaying an undercurrent of darker themes. I prefer the uplifting stuff, but that’s just how it works out sometimes.

DJ Intros/Outros: A lot of tracks will start off with what’s known as a DJ intro. The intro is for transition time between songs so DJs can properly mix tracks together. However, a lot of official YouTube uploads are the radio edits which cut out the intro. In some cases, this helps the song. In others, it detracts from the entirety of the song.

Quality: Most of what I will post here is stuff that sounds good to me. Simply put, aye? While I know the difference between a quality track and a more generic track--and I will be bantering about the music too--there will be other times where I will simply post the video and let the listener come to his/her own conclusion. Essentially, while I will be focusing on quality stuff, I also want to add less well-produced material as I feel it’s important to have these in your mixes from time to time to add variation. Just because it is simple, that doesn’t mean it doesn't stand out amongst a thousand tracks which are even more generic. Not everything needs a polish, either. Ain’t no shame!

Cheers.

As of 1.17.2016, I have added an index to this journal, which you can find here:

Last edited by Aux-In; 04-21-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote