Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Metal Albums you should hear before you die
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #150 (permalink)
Primeval Scum
Music Addict

91. Agalloch - The Mantle (2002)

The Mantle combines elements of black metal, acoustic folk, and atmospheric rock unlike anything else I have ever heard. They build atmosphere the old-fashioned way: by utilizing each instrument to reflect their emotions. No immersive synths or try-hard 'concepts' needed. Throughout The Mantle, the band creates something so unique yet so tangible that you have no choice but to sink and drown in it. You will feel like you are alone, wandering through desolate, snowy woodlands like the elk on the front cover…while other times, you will be rendered speechless by waves and waves of stunningly gorgeous soundscapes. There is a mysterious nature that accompanies Agalloch’s sophomore album, and it is albums like this that make music worth exploring, sharing and reviewing. A benchmark of twentieth century ART.

Don't grieve for me, I'm not there. I am the gentle autumn rain. Hold up my lamp to light your way. Farewell to thee...
Primeval Scum is offline   Reply With Quote