Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you find being called "black" offensive?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 07:15 AM   #118 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Interesting idea, but don´t expect people to adopt it any time soon; a simpler approach might be as Captain Beefheart said:-
"All people are colored, otherwise we´d see right through them."

On a related issue, I´d like to check up about the skin colour of Latin Americans. The description that I learned as a schoolboy was "olive-skinned." Is that term still in use, I wonder ? Here in Mexico, people describe themselves as "moreno" - that translates as "brown" in my dictionary but doesn´t sound appropriate to me. Van Morrison could sing about a Brown-Eyed Girl with no problem, but Brown-Skinned Girl sounds slightly offensive, and misleading if applied to a Latin American.

( Disclaimer: I´m not an enthusiast of labelling people by skin color, but my Mexican students sometimes want to know the English term that they should use to describe themselves.)
My problem with calling Hispanics brown is that, for the most part, they're not really brown. They're some form of tan. Black people are brown.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote