Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 03:00 PM   #599 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzak
I actually think Pink Floyd is becoming overated even though it isn't their fault. It is just that at my school, like almost out of every 10 people, 1 or 2 people wear Pink Floyd shirts/hats/bags. It seems that now the little kiddies are now trying to be all liking Rock and yet half of them, I would say, like 50 Cent and other rappers and pop rock. But the worst part is that every single one of the things they wear (shirts/hats/bags) it is the Dark Side of the Moon symbol. I mean, I know most of them personally and I know they listen to Pink Floyd alot and many times it is other albums but many of the other ones I don't know, I ask them their favorite song by them and everytime they respond "Money".
(I think this is a run-on sorry)
Also, AC/DC, not their fault either. But most kids have these AD/CD hats or shirts and I ask them what albums do they listen to and they all answer with "Back and Black". Yes it is a good album but there are many more by them that are great. I think AC/DC and Pink Floyd is the victim when it comes to being overated. Does this happen to anyone else are am I the only one? Please don't flame.
Nah, you wouldn't be the only one. I hear about the "supposed fans" of AC/DC and Pink Floyd all the time on the forums. I can't say I've seen many of them since I'm living in NZ. In fact my brother is becoming one of them. He stencilled the AC/DC logo onto his speakers. The only AC/DC songs he recognises are Thunderstruck, Highway to Hell, You Shook Me All Night Long and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. I'm happy I turned him away from Linkin Park/Limp Bizkit/rap, but I don't want him to go around saying he likes bands when he only knows a few of their songs.

It's a problem which has plagued music throughout time. People only recognise a couple of songs from a band/artist, but are happy to go around putting the band/artist in their list of favourites. My mum's fav band is probably the Beatles, but she didn't recognize the Taxman song. I know that song, and the Beatles don't even touch my list of favourite bands.

This also happens with U2 - not to the same extent though. People listen to the greatest hits albums of U2 and rate U2 entirely on those, whereas their whole discography should be taken into account. If those people had heard some of their other studio albums, they wouldn't have praised U2 so readily.

I guess it depends on how often you listen to music, and whether you can access music when you want it.