Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock 'n' Roll with Loose Song Structures
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Default Rock 'n' Roll with Loose Song Structures

I love rock music that's been deconstructed. When a band sounds like they're just playing and not just making a song. A lot of post-punk/art rock kinda does this, but with an arty sensibility that tries to "move past" rock (e.g. PIL, Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, Suicide, etc), but I really dig the bands that channel that simple, old school rock energy while playing fast and loose with the concept of song structures.

Post some favs.

VU's White Light/White Heat is a great example. A lot of the songs sound like an R&B band just going all out in some bar.

I'd love it if the Stooges had explored it more, but the B-side to Fun House is great in how it slowly deconstructs, culminating in the title track.

Gotta post Flipper's "Sex Bomb". Great energy that's all about having a good time.

Again, thanks to bob. for introducing me to The Jon Spencer Blues explosion. Experimental, but without sounding arty, they play some great, loose, high energy, pure rock 'n' roll. They just sound like they're such a blast playing their **** that they forgot to write songs.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote