Music Banter - View Single Post - Need help with Ableton Send effects.
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
ulrichburke
Groupie

Sorry for the confusion,everybody.

I'm trying to get the hang of SEND effects as opposed to effects dropped onto the actual instrument. As far as I can tell with Ableton Live, after having studied the manual, you do SEND effects by putting the effect itself on a channel marked RETURN (I suppose that means you're SENDING the sound to that channel and that channel is then RETURNING it with the effect on it.)

What's puzzling me with SEND effects is that on the MIDI channel where the VST instrument is, you've got just 2 buttons, marked A and B. Which as far as I can see would be fine if you just had two SEND effects set up.

But if you've got 3 (or more) SEND effects set up, how do you control the third (or fourth/fifth etc.) considering you've only got 2 control buttons on the VST's MIDI channel, button A and button B?

The second question which, as far as I can see (and I'm totally lost) leads on from that is if you've got several effects set up as SEND effects and you want to route a sound to different effects at different points in the track (for instance, you wanted compression/reverb on the guitar at one point, EQ/Flanging at another point) how do you re-route the MIDI signal to the different pairs of effects in-track? I mean as you've only got two control buttons as far as I can see, you must be using the effects in pairs, no?

If I've got the wrong end of the stick and there's another way of controlling multiple send effect that I don't know about, please tell me. I know I could drop them all in as INSERT effects on the different VSTs, but I want to get the hang of SENDS and this only-two-control-knob business has stumped me totally. I thought if I added more RETURN tracks, I'd get more control buttons, one for each RETURN track with an effect on it. But nope, you seem to be stuck with only two control knobs in the MIDI channel, knob A and knob B.

So how do you control multiple SENDS, with only 2 control buttons? Where is my understanding going wrong?

If this still doesn't make sense I'll do the screenshot thing.

Yours, very puzzledly,

Chris.
ulrichburke is offline   Reply With Quote