Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Metal Albums you should hear before you die
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 05:41 AM   #152 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
92. Karl Sanders - Saurian Meditation/Saurian Exorcisms (2004/2009)

Note: I'm running these two albums together cause they're basically the same thing, and the purpose of this entry is more about the artist than the specific albums.

Alright, so these are not actually metal albums ... at all ... by any stretch of the imagination. But, if you're a lover of Nile, and dig those Egyptian music interludes, then these may very well be of interest to you. Karl Sanders is the mastermind behind that band, and these are pretty much albums made up of those ambient interludes. Depending on your point of view, this can either be pointless self-indulgence, or cool as all ****. I am of the second opinion. Obviously.

What I as an ignorant infidel must assume is Egyptian folk music played on guitar, evocatively plays over booming, hypnotic tribal drums. When the guitar is center stage, it feels like a majestic journey through the desert of a lost time. When the drums reach a fever pitch however, it's like bearing witness to some massive, terrifying religious ritual. These albums feel unsettling and otherworldly, speaking to my soul in a primal way that is just fantastic. Both albums are wicked cool, but I'd say the second's greater use of those tribal drums gives it the edge.

Spoiler for Don't **** with Ishtar!:

I'm going to revive the "Recommended by ..." thread and this is going in.