Music Banter - View Single Post - The In-Tray: A Collaborative Workspace for Journal Authors
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 05:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by aux-in View Post
I'm working on my next write-up for my Journal. What I'm trying to decide is...I am a visual person as well, so I'm not sure the spoiler tags will be right for me. OK, I am sure...I really don't want to do that. I am new to this process, but the goal is full creativity. I don't mind if it takes awhile to get approved. It's a journal entry and not a regular forum post, so even if it took a day or two, it just looks better to me to have the videos be ever-present in conjunction to the points I'm trying to make. What say you?

Journals can all be different depending on what you'd want to do. If I started a journal about rock, for instance, I would want to try to resist the temptation to go on tangents about other types of music...tempting as it is. It's about whatever works for you. If I started a general one and then had an idea for something unrelated but specific, I might start a new one focusing on said specific topic.
The thing is, some of the mods whose job it is to approve your entry have slower, older computers and I certainly got a right bollocking for crashing at least one of them. If you go through anybody's journal with videos, even Unknown Soldier's, where he groups four videos together at the end of the review, your PC will stutter and the page will freeze for a few seconds. And my PC is a good one: AMD six-core Phenom II. Now, multiply that by the amount of journals these guys have to approve, and if it keeps happening two things are going to happen: you'll get a warning not to use so many videos or spoiler them or, worst case scenario, your entries will not be approved or will take a while to be.

If you're determined to use all your videos unspoilered, I'd PM the mods who will be approving them (Janszoon, Loathsome Pete, Urban, Vanilla, Goofle etc) and ask if they're ok with that. If you don't do this, you run the risk of getting under their skin, which is never a good thing. But also bear in mind that people reading your journal may struggle with a bunch of videos and this may cause them not to bother coming back. You could always do a bit of a survey I guess, see who is affected by it and how.

I rarely use videos anymore. I feel my writing should say enough about the music without having to "draw pictures" with video. After all, if someone really wants to hear what you're writing about, YouTube is only a click away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
http://www.musicbanter.com/general-m...r-edition.html

It's what the people want, Trollheart.
Yes, but is it complete yet? I'll certainly think about it, as I said originally I might link the two.