Music Banter - View Single Post - How do you start learning guitar
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mister Mushroom
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOCH6 View Post
Fortunately guitar manufacturers make it a very easy hobby to approach, there is something available in all price ranges from $100 to $5000 or more, cheapest starting at $100 for a guitar and practice amp (Robson is a common starter brand). For a first guitar you should probably consider a Fender Squier, that's the classic option, it'll probably cost you around a $150. I'd commit to spending $200 for a guitar / practice amp if you want something that'll get you through the learning curve somewhat smoothly without frustrating you out of the hobby.

Adding onto this, if you're willing to buy a used guitar odds are you can get a Squier stratocaster for roughly anywhere between $40-$70. I'd recommend going to a brick'n'mortar store for it though and just running your hand up and down the neck or randomly playing notes. I didn't do this when purchasing my first guitar and kind of regret it.

There's also sites like Rondo Music that sell good instruments for cheap prices and odds are you can get a good Strat/Tele/Les Paul style guitar for a cheap price.

Of course what kind of guitar you should get all depends on your personal preferences in aesthetics, feel and what music you wish to play.

Also if you're a fan of video games you might want to pickup a copy of Rocksmith/Rocksmith 2014. It really helped me adjust to the guitar. If you do this, however, DO NOT only play with Rocksmith. Practice outside of it or playing guitar will become just a game for you and you'll find yourself unable to play without it.

I practiced about 50% of the time with Rocksmith and 50% of the time without it, gradually lowering the amount of time using Rocksmith as I progress. Now I'm at around 25% of the time using it and 75% not.

Last bit of advice would be to not ignore music theory. It just makes things so much easier, even if you only know basic music theory. Learn the fretboard as soon as you possibly can.
Mister Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote