Music Banter - View Single Post - What is noodling and why is it bad?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wpnfire
Dragon

Default What is noodling and why is it bad?

Before I tell people to shut up about talking **** about the solos in Dopesmoker and the breakdown in "Master of Puppets," it occurred to me I should first identify what this "noodling" is. The dictionary gives me the definition:
Quote:
improvise or play casually on a musical instrument
... but why is this bad? And how in the absolute hell is improvising bad? I'm not too knowledgable about free jazz, but I'm told it relies heavily on improvisation, but how come free jazz groups aren't labeled as noodlers? Am I the only one that thinks that a band of 3+ members improvising as a unit is far more impressive than playing something they've arranged beforehand?
Hell, **** instruments, how come people don't deride Jay Z as a noodler for not making the lyrics to his songs before he actually records them? Isn't that de facto improvising?

Secondly, and though this commment may mar this thread as a troll thread, I have to say I've most often heard the word "noodling" used by people who actually play the instrument used by the person they are labeling as a noodler, and almost never by people who do not play the instrument. It kind of makes you sound like elitist *******s, who are unwilling to say they simply dislike the playing and drum up this whole charade of "yeah he/she is just a bad player," or some stupid ****.

^ My honest thoughts.

Last edited by Wpnfire; 02-21-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote