Music Banter - View Single Post - What is noodling and why is it bad?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 04:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Dylstew
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtwhtgrvty View Post
A vast majority of music comes from aimless improvisation. It is literally how music is born. Experimental music, by definition, is ultimately an unintentional affair. Only the foolish would state that improv is bad.
Aren't plenty of written songs partially improves too? I mean, I can come up with a bunch of melodies in my head at any moment. Ofcourse some will just be ones I've heard and forgotten about, but to prevent that you can just edit them and mix them with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoioideae View Post
Noodling is how I come up with most of my ideas. Putting fingers in places on the board I wouldn't usually. You get some pretty unusual melodies if you veer of course from a standard affair, it's primarily why I don't like using DAWs, I need to **** about on instruments with my giant spider hands.
Even though I can't play for ****, I sometimes also do this (but more out of boredom than actually making something). It makes for some interesting melodies.
Speaking of which, do people ever use off key notes or really bad tunings on purpose?

Last edited by Dylstew; 02-22-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote