Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #7186 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Darkest Dungeon

I commented on this a few weeks ago but I spent a good deal of last night playing this and it may be my new favourite hated thing ever. It's basically Dungeons & Dragons as DM'ed by H.P. Lovecraft (minus the rampant racism), with about all the luck that comes with playing D&D. Basically you manage adventurers as you send them out on quests and have to manage their mental health, but you really have to unlearn A LOT of things you're use to in video games that have stress management. At first you'll try to do everything to keep your guys happy, but eventually they will die and you will get new ones, and you'll realize just how disposable these assholes are.

That being said, there's a lot of RNG (random number generator) going on and there are times where you'll just get hosed regardless of how balanced your party is or what buffs they have. On my first playthrough my crusader and highwayman died in the tutorial (although that was mostly my fault) and I had to restart. So if you're not a fan of chance, then this game is definitely not for you.

It would also be remiss of me not to mention that this game is in Early Access, but I feel like it's one of the only games in that program that is actually worth buying now as the amount of effort put into the game really shines through and it feels like it could be a full release at maybe $10. I do feel though that this game is going to be on a lot of Top 10 lists for this year though.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote