Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #674 (permalink)
grtwhtgrvty
jiojoijoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
Of what exactly? There is a clear definative choice to stop living or not. What the motives are is where it becomes a grey area.

Nope. Wrong. Suicide can't be a choice because it's a symptom of mental illness.

Suicide is like jumping out of a burning building, the burning building being your psyche, the fire being depression, for example. You would never reference someone jumping out of a burning building as a clear, definitive choice, rather something more instinctual, a knee jerk reaction.

When someone commits suicide, it means that their depression (for example) killed them. Depression isn't a personality trait. When someone commits suicide, they are not experiencing rational thought. The pain of existence is so overwhelming that in a knee jerk reaction, they end it.

It's not a conscious choice. It's a knee jerk reaction. No one chooses suicide. To have that point of view demonstrates a great deal of ignorance on suicide. If you pulled up any official source they would say exactly what I'm saying. Anyone who thinks that suicide is a choice, and a cowardly one at that, really needs to educate themselves on what suicide is and how mental illness actually works, because that is an opinion of incredible ignorance.

Even if suicide was a choice, I would never call it cowardly. I think choosing (hypothetically assuming that suicide is a choice) to kill yourself actually takes a great deal of courage.

You should pick this book up and read it http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...rkness_Visible

It's very important that you understand where these kinds of thoughts and actions actually come from. You will never ever find a psychologist that references suicide as a choice.

Last edited by grtwhtgrvty; 02-23-2015 at 01:18 PM.