Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #298 (permalink)
Key

Blackfield - Welcome To The DNA

So, i'm just going to say straight off the bat, I didn't give this album a chance when I was just getting into Blackfield. It instantly went to being one of my least listened to Blackfield album. Then again, to be fair, there are only 4 official Blackfield albums, but that's still no excuse. I think part of it had to do with the fact that I instantly fell in love with the atmosphere of Blackfield I and Blackfield II and anything different didn't really do it for me. Another reason why it could have happened is probably more due to me not really giving it it's fair chance at the beginning of it all. I listened to a few of the catchier tracks on the album, and didn't really feel like listening to the rest. I've come to realize that doing that was a huge mistake as this album is actually fantastic, probably more-so than the others I mentioned.

With Blackfield, you can expect to get the feel of Steven Wilson sort of stepping back from what he's good at, and bringing out a more relaxed atmosphere to his music. As most are aware, Blackfield is a side project of Steven Wilson's. I can't say for sure that it is HIS side project, but he's included in it, so it's basically his in my opinion. I've noticed that as I listen to more of Blackfield, you just can't expect to hear too much Porcupine Tree in the music. I mean, you'll hear the dark atmospheric Floyd-esque influence in it, but you won't get those technical proggy moments, at least from what i've noticed. Of course, what do I know right? I'm just a passive listener more times than not. Anyway, Steven Wilson still does dish out what he dishes out best, and that's his nearly perfect ability to make people listen to what he's saying, without being too in your face about it. Sure, some could argue that Steven Wilson doesn't actually really sing, I mean I would understand where you'd come from, but Steven Wilson is unique in the sense that he doesn't have to have a good voice for you to really get into what he's trying to deliver through his lyrics.

The album itself is just fantastic as I have mentioned. I just find a lot of the songs more upbeat and "brighter" than you'd get from Blackfield I and Blackfield II, which isn't bad. You get some heavy hitters in this album as well as some acoustics, but it's the perfect balance of being a happy and sad album, and I really didn't see that too much in the other albums. I just find that Steven Wilson puts into this album what you might be able to expect in an EP for a future Porcupine Tree release, without any of the heavy proggy moments that would come into a full release of a new PT album. I know I said you don't get much of the PT influence in these albums, but there's a few, maybe not happening all the time, but you'll hear them when you hear them, I guess.

^This song is actually one that I find Steven Wilson found a perfect equality between being harmonic and delivering some powerful lyrics, especially in the chorus. Probably my favorite track on the album, but that's just going to show how good the album is as a whole, and I will say again that I am disappointed in myself for not giving it the chance it deserved when I found this band.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote