Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 10:23 PM   #301 (permalink)
Key

Anathema - Sunlight

Anathema released an album by the name of Weather Systems a few years ago. It was something completely different than Alternative 4, and the like. I'm not entirely certain why they made the change in sound that they did, but man, with how many tear jerking songs they have on this album, I definitely don't mind the direction they went in. I've talked about this album being a grower for me, and overtime i've really come to enjoy it for what it is, and I have quite a few favorite tracks on it. But, i'm not talking about the whole album today, just this one song. Sunlight has that uniqueness where lyrically the song isn't sad, but the way it's performed / instrumentally it is sad.

"The shining almost took me but I made it through that night
And in the morning life it graced me and I ran for miles
"

However, there is definitely some positives to negatives throughout the song, but I don't take it as being a song about something sad. That's just what I interpret. I do remember the first time I heard this song, I did have to listen to it again a few more times, because not only is it a heart breaker, it's also catchy as hell. It made it's way to one of the more listened to songs from this album, even upon it's release. I also like how as the song progresses, it starts to get more upbeat and you start to hear the drums come in, and the vocals get more powerful, all leading to a fantastically choreographed climax that I can only describe as amazing. It truly is a great song when you really break it down, but at the same time, it's also a great song just to passively listen to, which is what the album sort of became to me. It's not a bad album, it's an album i'd put on to have going on in the background, something along the likes of a Sigur Ros album, or City and Colour, etc etc.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote