Music Banter - View Single Post - What Is Your Favorite Pop Song Or Artist?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #46 (permalink)
FRED HALE SR.
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
^ That is one creepy video!!

I remember really liking Yaz's "Only You" song when it came out...and I still do. That's a nice storage box find!

The funny thing is, all these years I thought the main singer was a man, and I only learned I was wrong last year or so when I finally felt inspired due to MB to watch a Youtube video of the song.

Alison Moyet's voice has this low quality such that when I hear it, I could go either way with her gender. I believe I like the song more when I imagine that a man is singing it because then its romantic elements seem even more sweet to me.
I always loved the video. From the beginning I knew it was a woman from the Don't Go video. It was very popular in the MTV heyday. I love her Alto voice, its so gorgeous to me. Her solo efforts were alot of fun also, she tends to stick with the theme of love/heartache but all good pop does.

I like how she explores many different ranges in her vocals and she has always been exceptional at phrasing. She really does understand her voice and it conveys in her songwriting. Shes never gonna be Kate Bush but I think she understands that and runs with it, to great success.