Music Banter - View Single Post - What Is Your Favorite Pop Song Or Artist?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #47 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. View Post
I always loved the video. From the beginning I knew it was a woman from the Don't Go video. It was very popular in the MTV heyday. I love her Alto voice, its so gorgeous to me. Her solo efforts were alot of fun also, she tends to stick with the theme of love/heartache but all good pop does.

I like how she explores many different ranges in her vocals and she has always been exceptional at phrasing. She really does understand her voice and it conveys in her songwriting. Shes never gonna be Kate Bush but I think she understands that and runs with it, to great success.
Alison Moyet does have a wonderful, unique, warm voice.

Your mentioning her solo career made me realize she has one (and I should have imagined she did, but I didn't think about it). And after googling her, I found out she is still singing.

I just listened to a new song by Alison Moyet - "Changeling" - and am impressed and interested because her song so clearly shows changes in her musical style. Also, I was startled to see how slender she has become. I probably wouldn't have recognized her, if I hadn't known she is the singer:

Alison Moyet - "Changeling"
I like her modernized sound.

Her older cover of "Cry Me A River" is excellent, I feel, and showcases her velvety, sultry voice:

Finally, I like this 2013 interview with Alison Moyet (below) because she describes changes that she has experienced in her life and music, as well as her perspective on her career.

I like how she mentions that her voice has changed...not so much her *singing* voice, but rather the sort of topics, style, and meaning of songs that she wants to sing. She says she can't sing "Invisible" anymore because she no longer resonates with the bleating/moaning quality of it; she can't engage with it anymore. (I love how she says, "Oh bloody hell!") Alison Moyet sounds like a strong, grounded, intelligent person, and this interview makes me admire her as a musican and person even more:

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote