Music Banter - View Single Post - Can/ which current MC's can become legends?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I know, we've been through this many a time. I'm well aware of your impossibly high standards of defining what an icon or legend, but somehow not strict enough to let Janet Jackson in. We just have a fundamental disagreement on how to define a legend I guess. I think of people who make big waves in the music world and have good music behind it (because sometimes they don't, especially looking back at their contemporaries). That's why I consider them as potentially legendary in the musical world.

You'll notice in my post that I prefaced that both Aesop Rock and El-P will probably be considered legendary in underground circles. This doesn't make them legends in everyone's eyes because a lot of people haven't even heard of them, but I think that they've made enough of an impact to fit my criteria.
Well if that is your opinion on Janet than all I can do is respect it although I don't agree. However, I don't see what that has to do with this thread. There have been some really great underground rappers, yes I agree with you on that.

However, to be a legend I think you have to make a significant impact on the genre itself as well as "the people." I think this happens when the music transcends and touches people. It so much deeper than just being a "good rapper" but to be fair I think this is the case for any genre.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote