Music Banter - View Single Post - Talk about your instrument/gear!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #570 (permalink)
Mister Mushroom
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoioideae View Post
Nah, that's a weirdly common thing on some models of guitars that no one is really sure about. It happens on Fender offset guitars like the Jaguar and Jazzmaster as well, it's a problem that no one knows the answer to. The solution is to solder the ball end of the string, and that has kept it for me (I own a fender Jaguar, so I know this problem well).

This is just a guess, but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with imperfections of the bridge or nut, but how the tension is distributed across all of the strings, pretty much a design flaw.

edit: I have noticed that some of my various e-strings I've bought have lasted longer than others (unsoldered), one that lasted until I changed the strings was some .11 gauge string I bought in bulk, wish I remembered the brand or where I stuck the rest of them.

I will definitely try the soldering thing out, thanks!

I was also thinking it may have something to do with the tuning pegs, as the tuners for the B and E strings are both very stiff. My theory was the string isn't able to go out of tune due to the pegs being so stiff, and instead is just snapping from the tension. Going to try to lube them up as well. Might not be the problem, but I should really fix it regardless.

Also, if you happen to remember the brand, please PM me or something, it'd be very useful to know.