Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's Yacht Rock Extravaganza
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Five Obscure Westcoast Gems With Michael McDonald On Backing Vocals

Some of you love him. Many of you hate him. Some of you probably wish you could be him. A few of you have even laughed at him.

This is my top five Michael McDonald backing vocal songs that only a small % of the global population is likely aware of!

Quote:
5. Out On The Streets (Patrick Simmons - Arcade - 1983)

Doobie Brothers guitarist going all out on this high energy opening cut to his first solo album. And of course, you can hear everyone's favorite white bearded blue eyed soul singer surging on the chorus and main verses.

Quote:
4. Some Children (Holy Ghost! - self-titled - 2011)

One of the more recent places we've heard ol Mikey chiming in, and in the contemporary synth-pop world of all places. Killer groove, killer song.

Quote:
3. Night Across The World (Christopher Cross - Rendezvous - 1992)

Everyone and their grandma has heard 'Ride Like The Wind', but mistah McDonald has contributed his heavenly tones to a scattering of other Christopher Cross tunes across the years, with this one being one of the punchier ones.

Quote:
2. Good Friends (Joni Mitchell - Dog Eat Dog - 1985)

The idea of Joni Mitchell and Michael McDonald doing anything together might horrify fans of her really jazzy 70's era, but this is definitely one of the brighter spots in her more radio-oriented 80's discography.

Quote:
1. No Way Out (Paul Anka - Walking A Fine Line - 1983)

My favorite of the five listed here, and a strange one in some respects. A synthier, edited version of this song was later made into the title song for the same-titled movie starring Kevin Costner in 1987, but this Michael McDonald penned song (which also features him on backing vocals in the second half), is far groovier in its original long form from back in '83. Dat bassline...

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote