Music Banter - View Single Post - Why don't the current mainstream pop stars care about social issues?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
Posts a topic that's explicitly about race issues

"I am not trying to make this into a race issue"

Anyway regarding the discussion: I think there's more socially sensitive music out there than you think. Even unknown acts do it, hell my band's album "Frownland" is all about our ****ed up society. We may not have genuises like Marvin Gaye for example dropping stuff like "What's Goin On" anymore but none of the current A-list black artists today are anywhere near as brilliant as he or Stevie Wonder ever was so how profound of an impact would current artists be able to have anyway? I for one am not interested at all in hearing Drake or something attempt to make a political album.

This topic is not about race issues specifically but more so the issue of social issues being discussed in music.

I think that pop stars can still incorporate social issues in their music. Its quite alarming with all that is going on with various issues that affect society that they dont seem to have an interest in talking about these issues in their music. I am not expecting the music to be the same artistically as Stevies or James but at least the thought is what matters. This current generation however doesn't seem to care about social issues and are more interested in their own wealth.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote