Music Banter - View Single Post - aux-in's Collection: [The Electronic Continuum]
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

Having reached the midway point already, we're now getting to the meat and potatoes of things.

I'm going to start this one off strong with a production from Morgan Page.

MORGAN PAGE

This track is called "Carry Me" and it is from Page's In The Air album. What really makes this track is the vocal performance by Nadia Ali, singer-songwriter and former member of the band iiO. She is a veteran of the electronic music scene who co-writes a lot of material, making her more than just a featured singer on a lot of tracks. Dyro is on remixing duties here to give the song the proper edge that it needs.

Morgan Page & Nadia Ali - "Carry Me" [Dyro Remix]

Page has one of the unfortunate distinctions of being the type of producer where I prefer the remixes over his originals, and that's the case here. That's not to take anything away from his effort, for without him, the remixes aren't even possible. Back in these early days, I would have called this track dubstep. It's actually electro house. Just one of the many reasons I stopped trying to classify these types of hybrid sounds . Page is set to release new material this year with several tracks featuring vocals from singer-songwriter Lissie. I will have more from Morgan Page and most of the artists already mentioned, at a later date.

Moving on to NERVO, an Australian outfit that isn't just a duo--they're actually twins. They are also one of the few female producers that I've come across.

NERVO - "Hold On"

I am posting the original here, but the one I was listening to, and subsequently prefer, is the extended mix (not to be confused with the Vicetone remix). Still, the video carries an important message in dealing with the loss of a loved one. Not something I would've picked up on without spending more time with the lyrics or seeing the video, quite frankly.

Something from Rogue...

Rogue (ft. Laura Brehm) - "Dreams"

Rogue is from the Midlands, UK. Not a lot of text info to go on outside of social media, although he has several vlogs and other related material on his YouTube. I did catch one of them where he stated he wasn't that good at some types of computer work, although you wouldn't know that by listening to his music. The vocals here are provided by Laura Brehm, an indie artist from Denver, CO. I have seen interviews with her and she seems like a good person who keeps herself open to working with producers. She at one point opened up for the band Heart. Read more: Laura Brehm article

Not a ton of info on this next one, but it has that hard-ambient, ethereal thing going for it. From the Anymore EP.

Eddie K & Statix (ft. Astronaut) - "Anymore"

Same as the previous:

Kill The Noise (ft. Ultraviolet & Emily Hudson) - "Dying"

And I will cap things off with what I consider one of the best melodic dubstep tunes of all time. It is a selection from Xilent, a producer from Warsaw, Poland.

Xilent (ft. Shaz Sparks) - "Universe"

There is a fan-made video done under the YouTube account worldofmycreativity that really captures the essence of this song. The video takes us through roaming fields throughout the country, as well as space scenes.

Xilent is one of my favorite producers and I will have more from him in future entries, with possibly a more in-depth breakdown of "Universe."

----

Without further adieu, here is aux-in's Desert Driving Mix...for all those times you catch yourself in the middle of nowhere without a single shred of civilization for miles on end...just you and your electronic music

aux-in's Desert Driving Mix
(in no particular order)

Morgan Page & Nadia Ali - "Carry Me" [Dyro Remix]
NERVO - "Hold On" [Extended Mix]
Eddie K & Statix - "Anymore"
W&W - "Invasion"
Arty & Mat Zo - "Rebound"
Kill The Noise (ft. Ultraviolet & Emily Hudson) - "Dying"
Xilent - "Universe"
(OPTIONAL)
Rogue (ft. Laura Brehm) - "Dreams"
Flinch (ft. Heather Bright) - "Light It Up"