Music Banter - View Single Post - Why don't the current mainstream pop stars care about social issues?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #50 (permalink)
Zyrada
Avant-Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
That song was a forced song and was unconvincing. Beyonce is fake. After what she did with Ledisi I realize she is nothing but a phony and a spot light hogger.
Isn't this moving the goal posts a bit? You said you wanted an example of a current mainstream musician making a stand on a social issue, but you never said anything about whether or not you personally had to find it effective or genuine.

As for the question of whether or not musicians should take advantage of their cultural position to promote a socio-political stance, I don't think they're obligated. Is it nice if they find a way to do so that doesn't involve awkwardly shoehorning a hamfisted aesop into a song? Sure, but at the end of the day, their job is to entertain.

As a side point, I'd argue that part of the problem with arguing over this topic is precisely what qualifies as "mainstream", "current", and "relevant". The idea of a "universal audience" is less applicable than it's ever been, so trying to find an artist that's "important enough" and has a high enough platform to truly make a difference is tricky at best. Trollheart bringing up figures like Springsteen and U2 really illustrates my point. I'll admit that they're mainstream, but they don't have any particular importance or relevance in my own musical sphere, and I'd say the same sentiment carries for a significant chunk of my generation.

Last edited by Zyrada; 03-02-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Zyrada is offline   Reply With Quote