Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Everyone on MusicBanter At Least Just a Little Bit of an *******?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briks View Post
I think I come off as a bit nicer online, since here I think twice before saying something that might come off as offensive. In real life I just say what I want, and take more "space" (but that varies on the setting). I try to be generally friendly, though, and I think I mostly succeed.
I think people tend to hold on to what you post on the internet a little longer than irl, esp. forums cause it's always kinda there. As an example if you bumped someone on the street and you aggressively said "watch it buddy" there might some tension between both involved but after a while it'll wear off. But on the internet if somebody says something and you retort, it could go either way, it could be ignored, or maybe the other person could be offended. If there's hostility in the exchange tension kinda lingers. And the conversation is never between two people, cause it's an open forum, other people can join in & start throwing in their opinions and etc, and it can snowball. Even something that is benign is open to a dozen ways of interpretation, and there could be one person take it to task and make an issue out of it. Plus someone can quote or bring it you a year later cause it's always kinda there. It's like if you say something on a forum, you are always saying it, cause the post is always there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
You think twice before you say something on an anonymous forum but not in real life where there's actual consequences?

That's kind of...backwards
Apples and oranges. You have to type things out proof read then hit the send button, there is a little more time to reconsider what you are saying to another person.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote