Music Banter - View Single Post - What is/was your favourite PHYSICAL music shop or store?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #36 (permalink)
Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I've been in Tower (the one inside Easons right?) a few times and would agree, the staff there seem like the type you could actually chat to rather than the likes of HMV or Virgin (when they were here), although having said that I must credit a guy in HMV for sorting out my search which led to my discovering the music of Josh Groban. Fair play to him.

Sound Cellar was just pretty relaxed and Tommy was always a decent guy. I wouldn't fear going in there. Mind you, I haven't been there for a long long long time. Do you remember when Freebird was upstairs in Grafton Street, and you'd be accosted on the way up by mildly annoying skinheads who would ask for change, and if you said no they'd shrug and just leave you alone? Ah, good times...
I've been in Sound Cellar a couple of times since and I must say I quite liked it. I was even talking to the owner the last time I was in there and he was super friendly and well up for a chat. My only gripe was all the CDs being in glass cabinets, could be more browser friendly.

Tower Records on the south side of Dublin have moved to a newer and more impressive store within the past year and they've also expanded their vinyl selection considerably.

Freebird (part of the Secret Book and Record Store) is another favourite of mine and is a great place to browse for vinyl and second-hand CDs.

Blink and you'll miss it.