Music Banter - View Single Post - Is everyone on Musicbanter at least a little bit of a music snob?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #70 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I don't consider myself a music snob, but I probably do come across as one when discussing. I don't often rip on bands or artists - I think people should make the music they want to make and you're free to like whatever you wanna like, but I do tend to think that music is special in that it's an art form where the more you know and the more tools and tricks of the trade you can employ - or the more you can push boundaries - the less interested people are going to be. It's tragically ironic. I think of the vast majority of music consumers as people who'd turn up their noses at the most exquisitely sophisticated dish prepared by the most skilled chef because it's not the hot dog they're used to.

I think if you call yourself a music lover, that should mean you've made an attempt to enjoy music in various forms and through that process has somewhat broadened your horizon beyond that of people who are not particularly interested in music. To return to my analogy with the food, I'm not saying hot dog isn't good, but if you're a real food lover, you'd also like the fancy gourmet meal. Or you would at least be interested in a taste.
Well you don't have to be a dick about it, but don't you find yourself thinking that your music taste is better than someone who only bothers with Top 40 radio? Objectively it might not make sense, but can you really say you don't feel the slightest bit superior in that respect?
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote