Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you find being called "black" offensive?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #315 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Yes, the social sciences realm is quite diverse (diverse means that there are several different types of fields under that umbrella term). Just because some do not study the exact same things does not mean that one invalidates the other because of this, that's actually one of the reasons why they're different fields. I know, crazy right? We'll come to a civil disagreement if you're willing though: I'll consider things by their generally agreed upon definitions and you can cherrypick which definitions you use to back up your arguments best.

And you implied that you knew how racist science can be by addressing that you're a social sciences major, as if that gives you insight to the standards for physical sciences (which seems to be the opposite of the case based off of this thread.
I think this thread discusses elements of hard science and soft science (social science) as well. We discussed racial and social constructs which has a lot to do with social science as well. I didn't bring up what I was learning to justify anything. I wanted to point out that these issues often get discussed in my classes and in what I learn. I don't see anything wrong with that really. I never came in here claiming that I was better than anyone or that I was an expert and if you feel that was what my intentions were in bringing that up, than let me clarify that was definitely not my intentions.

Also, I am not suggesting that since you are learning about Communications that you can not understand certain theories about other social sciences. However, when you learn about certain fields compared to others you do have better insight and understanding about certain themes and issues. For example, if you are not expose to diversity issues, or have to work hands on in clinics in the urban communities you might not understand where I am coming from with some of my arguments. ONCE again, you don't have to learn this in a classroom setting BUT sometimes it does help to get some type of exposure to these issues.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote