Music Banter - View Single Post - Why don't the current mainstream pop stars care about social issues?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #76 (permalink)
Surell
Master, We Perish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
You keep saying they don't care. We don't know that. And to be honest, comparing the civil rights movement with the Ferguson thing is whacked.

And don't forget that the grand jury in Ferguson spent 3 months going over all of the evidence and interviewed over 60 people before they decided not to indict that cop. So it might not be the best case for an artist to take a stand on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Who said they are not in touch with problems going on in the world. You keep going there and I don't know why.

And no, they have zero responsibility just becasue they are successful.

Again the civil rights movement was a HUGE thing. Ferguson is a blip by comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
It might be because we aren't having a civil rights movement right now. I would've seen something about that on TV.
I don't want to be off topic but where in the fuck are you getting these ideas from? Despite your stance on the matter, the fact that the events in Ferguson have made an impact on American racial consciousness at large is kinda not up for debate. Despite how recent it is, despite how it may have turned out in its verdict, it (along with several other occurrences) renewed the liveliness of the discourse on race in America. Perhaps the movement isn't as monumentally established as it was 40-50 years ago but that doesn't mean civil rights debate (and not just racial) has vanished.

Anyway, Lil B is mainstream enough for me (on Gucci and Wayne mixtapes, was in The Pack, is an internet sensation which is almost enough to be famous now) and put out this gem; Radiohead are a fairly popular (last album debuted at #6) and almost always concern themselves with philosophical/political/social concerns; and OG Maco, the "U Guessed It" man put out the EP "Breathe" after being enraged by the events in Ferguson. Besides that, we just had that slew of self-esteem jams back around "Born This Way" from Lady Gaga, and "New Slaves", despite what you think about Kanye, was enormously political.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote