Music Banter - View Single Post - Most emotional classical piece
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
*Agustín Barrios: La catedral (The Cathedral, 1921).
I love the touching simplicity of the Prelude Saudade from Agustin Barrios' "La catedral." That is a beautiful classical guitar piece!

Your first YouTube video for Salvador Bacarisse's piece was fascinating to watch, because I've never seen footage of the bombing during the Spanish Civil War.

Seeing the people rush around, some falling over, some scrambling to avoid cars in the streets, makes the upcoming bombing feel even real. Which cities were being bombed? And where were the people marching afterwards, many without proper footwear and clothes for the snow they encountered? The scenes of family members kissing each other almost desperately were very touching. This video made me realize I know almost nothing about Spanish history.

Three classical pieces that stir my emotions are:

Offenbach - Barcarolle
The piece sounds very sweet and simple, a waltz that is both sad and happy at the same time. When I hear it, the sad aspect wins out and I am left with a wistful emotion, as if remembering happy times long past:

Korngold - Die Tote Stadt - Marietta's Lied
sung by soprano Kiri Te Kanawa, this is my favorite aria. I feel the emotional music matches well the romantic sentiment of the song, which describes the sadness of true love, since it ends in death and separation.

Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor Op. 18 (Adagio sostenuto)
A beautiful piece with many moments that I love within it. I feel moved every time I listen.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote