Music Banter - View Single Post - Mysticism in Music
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Blarobbarg
Do good.

Given my beliefs, I obviously am a big supporter of mysticism in music- I also have no issue with it becoming "gospel," both literally and figuratively. A very big part of my faith involves connected with the Divine through worship- very often in a musical sense. A large part of a church service, of which I attend nearly every week (quite gladly) is congregational music. Sometimes old hymns, sometimes newer music, sometimes (at my particular church, anyway) it veers off into a heavily improvised group ecstasy- the musicians accompanying each other in a mostly chordal fashion, and the entire church singing or praying whatever they desire. It's jazz, it's Holy Ghost, it's supernatural, it's crazy, it's really whatever you want it to be. To me, it's a group of humans tapping into something deeper than themselves and coming together as a group to touch the mystic, the mysterious, the supernatural, "beyond the veil," yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, the point is, I am a complete supporter of mysticism in music. I enjoy and participate in a mystic religion, and much of the music I listen to (or lift up together with my congregation) is unashamedly trying to break through to "the other side."

Interestingly, I am totally happy singing along with crappy pop-Christian hits in church alongside my fellow church goers, when I would more than likely never listen to the same songs outside of that context. There's something about a group of people who come together and lift their voices in a shared faith that is absolutely incredible to me. Much of the music loses its power on its own, but the imperfect human aspect of church music makes it come alive with power and meaning, at least for me.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote