Music Banter - View Single Post - Why don't the current mainstream pop stars care about social issues?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #97 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
I have another question some of you guys responses made me think about.

Why do you think music labels and corporations do not want to promote social conscious music? Why do they not encourage artists or brands to make songs that reflect the times in their music?

Surely if these things were promoted on a major platform, I think the general public would not have a choice but be expose to these themes.
It all comes down to advertising. Say an artist makes a somewhat controversial socially conscious song and it gets played on the radio. Now say that one of the big advertisers that pays for a bulk of the radio show disagrees with that song and doesn't want their advertisements juxtaposed to a song with that content. They usually either recommend the radio station not play the song on threat of pulling from their sponsorship. Major labels care about money, and if a song can't get radio play because it might be controversial with advertisers who might keep the song off of the radio, the label is going to push the artist to stay away from that type of content.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote