Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuck in the Garage...
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 09:02 AM   #83 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Hey everyone! Sorry for staying away from The Garage for so long, but I've been busy doing some construction work. I still plug and post around the Forums when I get the chance, however I just haven't really had the drive to write up anything massive (which is a tradition for my entries). Thanks for the two thousand and plus views! To commemorate the occasion, I went out to a record store and grabbed a random album to review, to help me get back into the beat of things! I knew absolutely nothing about it or who made it, and I picked it solely because it was in the Psychedelic/Folk part of the Oldies section, and it had some groovy artwork on it. I really hope it's crazy Psychedelic Rock! Well, without further ado...

Four Sides of Melanie

I looked up the album, and it's apparently a compilation of the early work of Melanie Safka, someone that I've never heard of before. I'm hesitant to look up more about her, because I don't want to ruin the surprise of what kind of music she plays, but she grew up in New York City, and got her start by playing in coffee shops and small venues in the counter-culture mecca of Greenwhich Village. She started singing and playing guitar professionally in her teens, and when she hit her twenties in the mid to late sixties, she had a local following and a record contract (with the hip Buddah Records no less, the same label that pressed this very album in 1971). With a background like that, it's no surprise that she quickly fell in with the "Hippy" movement, and even performed at the infamous and borderline generation-defining Woodstock Festival. Now that we've established a context, let's get to the music!

1. "Somebody Loves Me" - Well, this isn't Psychedelic Rock. It's more like Dylan/Baez-esque Folk, with the stripped down sound of someone simply singing and playing a guitar. However, right from the start, Melanie's voice definitely sets her apart from other Folk singers. It's kind of an odd voice, being both worn and smooth at the same time, and she has kind of a strong accent. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I have to admit that it makes an impression, which whether for better or worse is always better than not making any impression at all. This is kind of a melancholy song, with a very simple tone and set of lyrics, and it gives off both a tired and hopeful feeling.

2. "Beautiful People" - This one has a similar tone to the last song, but it's a bit more quick and upbeat. It's more embellished, with drums and a string section backing her up. Though she lets her vocals have a bit more power and volume this time, altogether the song actually sounds a little less powerful than the stark and honestly rough opening track.

3. "In the Hour" - This track at times has more of a traditional European Folk feeling to it. It's kept fairly simple, with her vocals and guitar strumming taking the forefront, while there's some light string and accordion action going on in the background. I can't decide if her rough vocals are either the perfect match for this song, or the opposite, but like I said earlier, she definitely leaves an impression on you!

4. "I Really Loved Harold" - Keeping a bit of the traditional feeling of the last song, this one cuts out most of the background instruments (save for a few horns during the chorus, and some fantastic Oboe work). It's the darkest song so far on the album, both lyrically and tonally, but it still has a kind of Blues-style triumphant weariness throughout it. This is my favorite track so far!

5. "Johnny Boy" - The guitar work is great, as well as the instruments in the background, but Melanie's vocals follow an odd and herky-jerky beat that makes the song sound kind of strange and intriguing. I don't think the lyrics were very strong, but they're a good match for this kind of song.

6. "Any Guy" - A bit more light and upbeat than the last few songs, especially with the strong strings and horns backing her up. It follows that kind of Waltz-style beat, which only adds to the overall lighthearted feeling. Still, despite the happiness of it, the lyrics kind of go in the opposite direction, being fairly cynical.

7. "I'm Back in Town" - Even more lighthearted and happy than the last song, complete with the bouncy backing instruments. Again, the lyrics are kind of an odd match for the upbeat tone, being about either a girl who comes home to find that her man is cheating on her, or someone who goes back to their hometown and decides to break into the house of their ex.

8. "What Have They Done to My Song Ma" - Another upbeat song with dark and cynical lyrics, this is probably the strongest of the last few tracks. Again, Melanie's vocals are rough and unusual, but I really couldn't imagine anyone else singing this song.

Groovy, man...

9. "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)" - At almost eight minutes, this is the longest song of the album. It's got that late sixties/early seventies heavy Gospel feeling to it. Melanie's vocals are very clear and strong on this track, while the drummer, pianist and backing vocalists do their thing in style. This isn't my favorite track so far, but it's definitely one of the stronger ones.

10. "Peace Will Come (According to Plan)" - With the organ in the background of the intro, this song starts off with a bit of a Gospel feeling similar to the last track, and it also has the string section and upbeat feeling of the earlier tracks, as well as having the focus on the guitar work and rough vocals of the opening songs of the album. It's a good mix of every tone she's experimented with so far, and I kind of like it better than the last track!

11. "Good Book" - Similar to the mixed tones/styles of the last song, this one has more of a Gospel feeling to it due to the backing vocalists.

12. "Nickel Song" - This number has a kind of Western Folk feeling. Needless to say, it's got her unusual kind of upbeat weariness to it, which is starting to grow on me! The lyrics and tone are clear and strong, with a definite charm to them.

13. "Babe Rainbow" - At just about a minute, this is the shortest song of the album. It's kind of quiet and subdued, but it's fun while it lasts.

14. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - A cover of the classic Folk tune, Melanie's rough vocals work really well alongside her stark guitar playing. The strings and flute work are great additions, despite staying fairly subtle. For some reason, this song makes me want to curl under my covers and read a book while eating ice cream. Listen to it, you'll see what I mean!

15. "Carolina on my Mind" - Another strong cover, with a Western Folk tone. It's kept fairly subdued, but the guitar work is solid and very fitting.

16. "Ruby Tuesday" - Heh, I didn't expect a Rolling Stones cover! This is very similar to Melanie's cover of Mr. Tambourine Man, with the same sound and tone. Her vocals are pretty strong, especially during the chorus, and she really makes the song her own!

17. "Sign in the Window" - Another cover, this one features some very clear and solid vocals, as well as some fun banjo work! It's got a fun Western Folk feeling to it, especially during the chorus, and the light organ playing is a nice touch.

18. "Lay Lady Lay" - Here's one more cover for the album! It's just as strong and fun as the others, with Melanie adding her own twist to it. The vocals are fitting, but I especially like the guitar work throughout the song.

19. "Christopher Robin" - Sort of a lullaby, written about the protagonist of the classic Winny the Pooh books. It's kind of goofy and super lighthearted, but also very sweet.

20. "Animal Crackers" - Heh, I love it! This is a live track about the deliciousness of animals crackers, while also having a bit of a social commentary in the background. This is charming as hell, with Melanie constantly laughing and talking with the audience. Definitely one of my favorites so far! I wanted to include a video of this at the end, but I couldn't find any uploads of the version off of this album (which I highly recommend tracking down, if you can).

21. "I Don't Eat Animals" - Another super charming live track. Honestly, I think she sounds way better live than in the studio! This song is about being a vegetarian, but I think it's the kind of song that even a carnivore could like and appreciate.

22. "Psychotherapy" - Another humorous song with a dash of social commentary, this live track pokes fun at psychiatrists (particularly Freud), and takes a jab at both people who repress their urges as well as those who give in to them too freely. Also, it's got a fantastic chorus ("Glory, glory psychotherapy! Glory, glory sexuality! Glory, glory now we can be free, as the Id goes marching on!").

23. "Leftover Wine" - Ending the album is a very solid live track, featuring fantastic vocals and guitar work. I think this might be the strongest song of the album, and it calls back to the simple and dark tone of the opening tracks.

I'm not the biggest fan of Folk music (although I do like a few artists, like Dylan and Baez), and I was really expecting some fun Psychedelic Rock which is more in my element, however I actually really loved this album! Melanie's voice is a bit jarring at the beginning, but you kind of fall in love with it by the time that the album is over. This is a very solid compilation, with a good mix of both subtle and striking songs, however it really starts to shine when you reach the live tracks at the end. I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes Folk music, and I'd even recommend that someone who hates Folk give it a shot.
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------

Last edited by Oriphiel; 04-17-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote