Music Banter - View Single Post - aux-in's Collection: [The Electronic Continuum]
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

aux-in's Uplifting Mix: Pure Euphoria

Mako (ft. Angel Taylor) - "Beam" [Skrux Remix]
Protohype (ft. Alina Renae) - "Fly" [Killabyte Remix]
Above & Beyond & Gareth Emery pres. OceanLab - "On A Good Day (Metropolis)"
Armin van Buuren (ft. Cindy Alma) - "Beautiful Life" [Full Version]
Cazzette - "Beam Me Up"
Felix Cartal & Clockwork (ft. Madame Buttons) - "The Fire" [Skrux Remix]
George Acosta (ft. Fisher) - "Beautiful" [Original Mix]
Morgan Page (ft. Angela McCluskey) - "In The Air" [LectroNatic Remix]
Morgan Page (ft. Angela McCluskey) - "In The Air" [Mord Fustang Remix]
Static Revenger & Miss Palmer - "Bullet Train" [Kezwik Radio Edit]
Dennis Sheperd - "Edge Of The World"
Stephen Swartz (ft. Joni Fatora) - "Bullet Train"

Videos first. Yes, all 12 of 'em. My reviews will be at the bottom.

Mako (ft. Angel Taylor) - "Beam" [Skrux Remix]

Protohype (ft. Alina Renae) - "Fly" [Killabyte Remix]

Above & Beyond & Gareth Emery pres. OceanLab - "On A Good Day (Metropolis)"

Armin van Buuren (ft. Cindy Alma) - "Beautiful Life" [Full Version]

Cazzette - "Beam Me Up"

Felix Cartal & Clockwork (ft. Madame Buttons) - "The Fire" [Skrux Remix]

George Acosta (ft. Fisher) - "Beautiful" [Original Mix]

Morgan Page (ft. Angela McCluskey) - "In The Air" [LectroNatic Remix]

Morgan Page (ft. Angela McCluskey) - "In The Air" [Mord Fustang Remix]

Static Revenger & Miss Palmer - "Bullet Train" [Kezwik Radio Edit]

Dennis Sheperd - "Edge Of The World"

Stephen Swartz (ft. Joni Fatora) - "Bullet Train"

------------------------

1) Mako (ft. Angel Taylor) - "Beam" [Skrux Remix]

Another entry from Skrux, an Arlington, Texas native. Pure euphoria with this one, as my title indicates. This was one of Skrux's earlier remixes, and he does a great job here. The instrumental feels to me like it follows the same pattern as if you were skipping rocks in a river. There isn't much in the way of lyrics, however, I see this as using vocals as an instrument, which I consider to be an important concept when taking in this type of music. The effect here is that the high-pitched vocals bring an energy and an uplifting feel that you probably wouldn't be able to get with unfiltered vocals.

2) Protohype (ft. Alina Renae) - "Fly" [Killabyte Remix]

The original version has a more downbeat instrumental during the chorus/drops. This remix just works better and it has a more unique style to it. Lyrically, it seems to me that it is about moving on from a bad relationship, with lines such as "now that you're gone, I can finally fly." These types of lyrics don't speak to me personally as I'm more into abstract-type concepts. Human emotions? *pfft* With that said, the lyrics give the song more meaning than your standard-issue electronic song that just says "drop the bass" or "put your hands up."

3) Above & Beyond & Gareth Emery pres. OceanLab - "On A Good Day (Metropolis)"

For me, this one is more about personal redemption and looking within one's self for strength, and the song is able to pull this off without being hokey.

Some of the lyrics:

Little bit lost and
A little bit lonely
Little bit cold here
A little bit feared

But I hold on
And I
Feel strong
And I
Know that I can

I have liked most of what I've come across from OceanLab's album Sirens of the Sea; I have been meaning to give a full listen to that album...some day I'll get to that. The vocalist for OceanLab is Justine Suissa. I have read reviews where people say she sings somewhat flat, but I think it works for her and that style of singing brings a sense of calm to the music. I am not sure who was more involved in producing the instrumental parts in the Metropolis version of the song, whether it be Above & Beyond, Gareth Emery, or the other members of OceanLab themselves.

I posted the Anjunabeats upload because it's the full version (my preference). However, as you can hear the broadcaster speaking about before the song starts, the official video (radio edit) for "On A Good Day (Metropolis)" takes a more socially-conscious bend. It is a video that they shot in Detroit, seen here. The theme in the video is rebuilding a community from its previous abandonment. Not quite how I imagine things when I hear the audio, but that's their take on it. There's a write-up in the description about the inspiration on what led them to make that video.

4) Armin van Buuren (ft. Cindy Alma) - "Beautiful Life" [Full Version]

A more danceable track from Armin van Buuren, a renowned progressive trance artist. Not the biggest fan of talking about music in the music, such as "let the music guide you to me" and "dance tonight forever" as heard in the lyrics. Still, it's a decent track. Good vibes. Armin's taken some heat recently for moving in a more mainstream EDM direction, although he still puts out trance under his Gaia and Rising Star aliases. "Beautiful Life" is a progressive house tune.

5) Cazzette - "Beam Me Up"

Fun party song from Swedish duo Cazzette. Very "Vegas-like" in its sound. I like the vocals on this one. One of the better videos as well, more movie-like.

Spoiler for desciption of video contents:
There's humor here, not just hot babes running around. The video opens with a politician giving an interview and trying to figure out what has been making people dance in the streets, seemingly out of nowhere and without cause. It then cuts to scenes of spaceships that are shaped like cassettes. Long story short: basically, aliens are making people dance.

6) Felix Cartal & Clockwork (ft. Madame Buttons) - "The Fire" [Skrux Remix]

Original production from Felix Cartal & Clockwork with remixing from Skrux. Calming tune. Same kind of points I made on #1 and #2. The one issue I have with this track is the distorted effect that's put on the male vocal parts. I normally can't stand that effect, but here it isn't too distracting; it's not something that's all that noticeable anyway.

Since posting this, I went back and listened to the original, and I didn't hear any male vocals. The distorted vocals in the Skrux remix are likely from the same female vocals, but layered on a seperate track and then given said distorted treatment.

7) George Acosta (ft. Fisher) - "Beautiful" [Original Mix]

Geoge Acosta was born in Cuba and raised in Miami. Acosta originally started as a DJ spinning house tunes, later switched to producing trance, and then went in a more progressive house and EDM direction.

George Acosta quotes:

Quote:
George Acosta:

“I guess what makes me special is that I never stay behind the times. I’m constantly evolving, trying to better myself and challenge myself.

"For those who know me on a personal level, I am a man of few words; through the music, I am able to express all my thoughts and emotions."
Read more: George Acosta

I don't have much on Fisher. Why they don't use their last name or a proper stage name is beyond me. I don't want to have to guess and get the name wrong.

For the song itself, it's probably about sex. Doves can be deceiving.

8) Morgan Page (ft. Angela McCluskey) - "In The Air" [LectroNatic Remix]

I am posting two different remixes of Morgan Page's "In the Air" because I like them both, albeit for different reasons. The LectroNatic remix has guitars in it and has a more relaxing vibe, although it's less complex and more repetitive (not in a bad way).

Some of the lyrics:

To Get What You Want
Throw Out Your Troubles
Find Your Song
Cause There's A Change
Change In The Air

McCluskey, of the alternative rock band Wild Colonials, is the guest vocalist on this track. She has a raspy, indie tone to her voice, and I think with a different vocalist this song wouldn't work as effectively as it does--it would be more cheesy.

9) Morgan Page (ft. Angela McCluskey) - "In The Air" [Mord Fustang Remix]

Page's "In The Air" was a collaboration with production input from BT and Sultan + Ned Shepard. BT (Brian Transeau) is a classically-trained artist who is a legend of the electronic scene. BT has gone so far as to develop his own systems for creating music. More on him later on in this journal. The Mord Fustang remix is faster-paced, more energetic and more complex than some of the other remixes. I have seen comments that say the song uses triplets. Not being a creator of music, I will take their word for it.

Note: In the original mix, there is a line that is removed from each of these remixes: "Hallelujah-I Love You." Whether that is intentional or not, I can't say. And whether the song is about God, I can't say, but given the lyrics, I think "Hallelujah" is used with an emotive connotation and not a religious one.

10) Static Revenger & Miss Palmer - "Bullet Train" [Kezwik Radio Edit]

This song makes me want to take a step back from the commotion of life and just think about the universe. Said a different way, it makes me feel relaxed and contemplative about life. If I was on a train or bus ride, this would be one of the songs that I would play while I look out the window and take in the scenery. Kezwik's radio edit does help it, as the original is five minutes long and doesn't quite feel right.

11) Dennis Sheperd - "Edge Of The World"

What I like:

- I just like it. That's it.
- It's nothing too complex, but it gives you a sense of the title when you listen to it.
- It's all about the second half.

What I don't like:

- Not the strongest vocals.
- Lame party/festival video. Yes, it's about the music. And yes, that's what this type of music is geared toward...but it could be something more.
- Yet another radio edit that doesn't allow you to take in the song in its full context. The full version stands at about 7:24 in length, and is recommended. I'm probably going to sound like a broken record harping on this topic throughout my journal.

12) Stephen Swartz (ft. Joni Fatora) - "Bullet Train"

Similar to #10, with a more ethereal/nature vibe. It really takes you to that place where you want to step back and appreciate your surroundings. That's my take.

There is a fan-made video of "Bullet Train" that has some well-shot cinematic photography + time-lapse scenes of nature. It features skiing scenes set to beautiful, panning camera movements of mountains covered in snow. The only hiccup is that it doesn't cover the full song. You can see the video here.

Swartz only put out three major songs that I'm aware of, "Bullet Train" being the most popular. Since then, he's basically fallen off the map. He has more info on his Facebook, and he alludes to other material, although I haven't seen any surface myself. It could be one of those things where he's just not happy enough with the material in order to release it. Even if that's true, it's quite possible he missed the boat a little bit as I think the electronic scene has peaked somewhat, particularly with dubstep.

Bonus song:

Clark Kent & Yinyues - "Cosmos" [Skrux & Complexion Remix] : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mCabqANH-Q

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."

Last edited by Aux-In; 03-06-2015 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Additional. Edits in blue
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote