Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato: Trollheart's Televisual and Cinematic Emporium
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #425 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Title: The Visitor
Series: DS9
Season: Four
Writer(s): Michael Taylor
Main character(s): Jake Sisko
Plot: A young girl, a student who is considering a career in writing, arrives to speak to the reclusive writer, Jake Sisko, who is now quite old. When asked why he only write the one novel, Jake relates the tale of how his father died in a freak accident, or so they had thought. In fact, Sisko was trapped in an alternate dimension and Jake has spent the next few decades trying to bring him back. At the end, he realises he must die in order to save his father. The current timeline is erased when Sisko, on Jake’s advice, manages to avoid the discharge that “killed” him originally. It’s a beautiful little episode, based on a feeling of “what if” and showing the depth of love between the bioy and his son. Tony Todd shines in the role of elder Jake. Given all the Dominion stuff going on from season 4 onward, this is a quiet, personal but extremely poignant and powerful episode that shows why DS9 was regarded as the most mature and creative of the entire franchise.

Rating:
I watched this episode with this girl I was going out with once. She cried at the end of it, and she hated Star Trek before that. Enough said, really. Absolutely classic episode, definitely one of the most moving and thought-provoking works of fiction I've ever come across.

So far as me and Trek go, I'm no hardcore fan, but I do love Next Gen and DS9. Voyager dropped the ball a bit, but had moments which were as good as anything in TNG or Deep Space (Living Witness, which I see you also wrote about, is probably my favourite episode of it). Apart from the Final Frontier, First Contact, Nemesis, the god-awful Into Darkness and the last two thirds of Insurrection, I really like the movies too.

Great-looking journal this...another one of yours I'm gonna need to play catch-up with
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote