Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds from Innerspace
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Default Adventures in Music Lit

Greetings dear friends! It is a wonderful day - the weekend just hours away, spring is just around the corner, I'm tracking a wonderful surprise LP in the post, and more music lit has arrived at my doorstep.

I'm into the first chapter of a book that I believe I found while exploring titles from Goodreads.com's recommendation engine. (If one of you actually suggested this title in a forgotten conversation, please let me know and I'll correct my statement!)

David Toop's Ocean of Sound: Aether Talk, Ambient Sound, and Imaginary Worlds is a wonderful examination of the ethereal culture which developed in response to the intangibility of 20th century communications.

It reads like a Bradburian recollection of fleeting sights, sounds, smells and sensations - disconnected and fragmented memories expertly-woven together much like the subtle and indistinct tones of an ambient composition.

The author's aim is to demonstrate a different way of listening - an enjoyment of the sounds of our environment, whether by pneumatic drills, police helicopters or the distant croaking of tree frogs at night.

The Sunday Times praised Troop for his "rare instance of a music book which is about music, but WORKS", and The Face called it, "a Martian Chronicle from this planet Earth." I'm looking forward to spending these first days of spring cozily drinking it in.

And for further examinations of musico-cultural history I am delighted to finally have a physical copy of Simon Reynold's book, Retromania: Pop Culture's Addiction to Its Own Past.

Reynolds is perhaps best-known for his coining of the term, “post-rock” but is also regarded for his incorporation of critical theory in his analysis of music. Retromania was my first encounter with his writing.
“I recently read Simon Reynolds’ Retromania and it was so spot-on as far as our current attitude to music and its history. For my money he’s one of the most intelligent music writers in the last two decades”
— DJ Food
Retromania turned out to be much more than a critical examination of popular culture’s fascination with its past. It was a revealing study of my own approach to culture, trends, styles, and music. And I’m certain that I wasn't alone in this discovery. Like most readers who made the personal decision to read 500 pages of cultural analysis by a music critic, it demonstrates the emerging and growing demographic of cultural curators.

Brian Eno noticed the rise of the curator and grasped its implications way ahead of the pack. In 1991, reviewing a book on hypertext for Artforum, he proclaimed: Curatorship is arguably the big new job of our times: it is the task of re-evaluating, filtering, digesting, and connecting together. In an age saturated with new artifacts and information, it is perhaps the curator, the connection maker, who is the new storyteller, the meta-author.’

The new century is rich with metadata and globally-accessible archives of content from all cultures and eras. Youtube alone adds 100 hours of new video content every minute, and the emergence of music streaming services have only further-accelerated the accessibility of media, old and new alike. This raises perhaps one of the biggest questions of our era: can culture survive in conditions of limitlessness?

Chapter 4: The Rise of the Rock Curator was the first glimpse into my own rationale as a cultural custodian. It begins with the New Musical Express’ weekly column in the early 1980s – ”Portrait of the Artist as a Consumer.” Several rock groups of the decade presented their music with a kind of invisible reading-and-movie-watching list attached, conveyed through literary references within their lyrics of images depicted on their album jackets. (Sgt. Peppers is perhaps the best-known example of this execution.)

Reynolds writes that “being a Throbbing Gristle or Coil fan was like enrolling in a university course of cultural extremism, the music virtually coming with footnotes and a ‘Further Reading’ section attached.”

As the decade progressed, this curatorial baton was passed from the artists to their fan-base, who began, (whether consciously or unconsciously) to compile not just their favorite artist’s records, but the films, novels, and art which inspired their recordings.

The book goes on to explore the nature of collector-culture in the digital age and touches upon both the decisively retro action of record collecting and the inherent merits and dysfunctions associated with the activity, as well as the hoarding habits of media collection with respect to digital music.

But it was in a chapter on the 60s’ embrace of revivalism that I found the greatest revelation regarding my own bizarre fascination with music, art, and culture of the past. Reynolds writes -

Remember the Pop Boutique store in central London with its slogan ‘Don’t follow fashion. Buy something that’s already out of date’? Just as vintage can have an undercurrent of recalcitrance towards fashion, similarly it is possible for rock nostalgia to contain dissident potential. If Time has become annexed by capitalism’s cynical cycles of product shifting, one way to resist that is to reject temporality altogether. The revivalist does this by fixating on one era and saying: ‘Here I make my stand.’ By fixing identity to the absolute and abiding supremacy of one sound and one style, the revivalist says, ‘ This is me.’

Retromania is a thoroughly enjoyable and enlightening read. In a simple skimming of the book’s index, I found what was effectively a list of the contents of my own studio. The book examines:
  • Pierre Henry’s Le voile d’Orphée I et II
  • Varese’s Poème électronique
  • Perrey & Kingsley’s The In Sound From Way Out!
  • Bell Telephone Laboratories
  • The BBC Radiophonic Workshop
  • The Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Center
  • Raymond Scott’s Manhattan Research Inc
  • The City of Tomorrow (1924)
  • Blade Runner
  • The Philips Prospective 21e Siècle label
  • The 1956 Ideal Home Exhibition
  • 1958 World’s Fair in Brussels
  • Metropolis
  • Amazing Stories
  • Cold War Modern: Design 1945-1970
  • Disney’s Tomorrowland
  • Einstürzende Neubauten
  • The Winstons’ Amen Break
  • Negativland
  • Public Image Ltd.
  • The Black Dog
  • Stereolab
  • Plunderphonics
  • 2 Many DJs
  • 24 Hour Party People
  • William Basinski
  • Steinski
  • Pop Will Eat Itself
  • Throbbing Gristle
  • Eno & Byrne’s My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
  • iPod Therefore I Am
  • Boards of Canada’s Music Has the Right to Children
  • The Avalanches’ Since I Left You
  • fifties revivalism
  • The Man Who Fell to Earth
  • The Hauntology Exhibition at the Berkley Art Museum
  • The Orb’s Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld
  • The KLF / Justified Ancients of Mu Mu
  • DJ Shadow’s monumental Endtroducing LP
  • The glo-fi / chillwave / hypnagogic pop scene

...and much, much more!
After reading the eBook I promptly ordered a physical copy for my office. I'm now reading it again and this time - I'm taking notes.

Happy spring everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote