Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Blues Songs
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #161 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

This thread presents two challenges; choosing one favourite song and checking out the previous sixteen pages of posts are both pretty demanding. So I´m going to stick to the here and now.

Concerning the previous page only:-
grindy´s Crow Jane scores high for authenticity, but I think the Derek Trucks version is a lot more exciting.
Chula´s Parisienne Walkways has some fabulous guitar, but for me GM´s singing brings the whole thing down with a bump.
Dwill´s Me and the Devil is my favourite of the three; although it´s a cover version, it gave me a genuine tingle as of something sinister.

And my own fave blues song ? Today at any rate, it´s from Country Joe and the Fish. There´s some passionate guitar playing from Barry The Fish, but the real punch is delivered by CJ´s haunting, intimate lyrics about his troubled times as Janis Joplin´s lover. In fact it´s a rather remarkable kiss-and-tell song of a kind that show-biz people rarely do. (I rather wish that John Lennon had done something similar about Yoko´s shortcomings, instead of all that loving-couple stuff he made us listen to!) :-

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 03-07-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote