Music Banter - View Single Post - Your political compass
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #294 (permalink)
James
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
it's funny cause when i was in high school and they'd make us read books/stories i always dreaded it. i would sparknote that **** every single time. i tried reading the books at first but they were so deathly boring that i couldn't handle it. the only book that school ever forced me to read that i enjoyed was animal farm.

lord of the flies... beowulf... anything shakespeare related... anything holocaust related... mango street.... shoot me in the ****ing face before forcing me to read this crap lol

then just as i graduated i ended up reading the grapes of wrath on my own in my spare time, cause i wanted to try to enjoy reading. and that book was amazing. and i wondered why they never bothered to force me to read it. and from there i learned about a bunch of classic books/authors that i enjoyed that would have been perfectly appropriate for school that were never even mentioned in my english classes.
Yeah so many of the choices are poor. I personally see little value in Beowulf, especially not for high school students.
I think most classics would be interesting to students if they were just taught well, which they usually aren't.
James is offline   Reply With Quote