Music Banter - View Single Post - Making a rock instrumental.
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 01:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wack
Groupie

Default Making a rock instrumental.

Heya.

Music Experience/Background: I'm currently learning to play guitar, learning some music theory along the way. All is dandy in that department, and I feel I am progressing nicely. Also learning a bit about the piano, even though I don't have one to play at the moment.

So I'll try to explain my problem as clearly as possible. Essentially, I am having difficulty creating instrumentals that can be sung over. I can create basic beats that you could rap over, but that's about it. I need to understand the music theory behind creating an instrumental in which vocals can lay on top of. I understand this sounds like a weird problem, but I suppose I'm just not making my instrumentals melodic enough, or something. When I look up an instrumental by The Blanket Brigade(I think that's the name) on YouTube, I find it easy and fairly natural to sing over those instrumentals. So, if someone could explain the theory behind their instrumentals, or maybe point me towards a video that can explain it all to me, it'd be appreciated.

Also, a pretty big note, my resources are a bit limited. I am using LMMS, which is like FL Studios(or any software of that nature), but it's free and not as good. I don't have a good setup where I can physically play a keyboard/guitar/drums straight into the software. Rather, I have a collection of stock sounds where I can make decent piano melodies, and beats.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to make it clear what I need. Thanks!
Wack is offline   Reply With Quote