Music Banter - View Single Post - Talk about your instrument/gear!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #593 (permalink)
ribbons
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
With all the different setting options that the man used (below), it was hard to tell much difference between the pickups, but perhaps the Lollars sounded more mellow? It seems to me that the tone is affected more by the settings used than the pickups. (He should have played the same songs using the different pickups, and he should have used the exact same settings!)
I guess I'm wondering if the tone difference is worth the $220 cost of Lollar 52-T neck and bridge pickups (according to the Lollar website): Telecaster Pickups Tele Pickups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Having gone down the road of gourmet pickups many times I can say that the differences are really minor as long as you are comparing them to a decent stock pickup - not some piece of garbage from a $199 guitar.

Erica and Chula, thanks for your advice (and for posting the video, Erica). I think I was overexcited about the tone that guy was getting out of his Squier CV Tele with the '52 T Lollars and Lab L7 amp (Chula, very cool you that you used the Lab L5. Those amps are legendary, it seems - good enough that B.B. King grabbed five of them). As you stated, Erica, the '52 T Lollars seem warmer, taking a bit of the biting edge off the Tele sound - and that's exactly what I like about them. My Squier CV Tele has Alnico III pickups, and now I've learned that Alnico IIIs were used on '50s Teles. So it doesn't seem worthwhile to make the change.
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote